Five reasons to service that air con
Contrary to popular misconception, it’s not “fit and forget”. There are many problems that can result from lack of servicing Here are just a few.
- Increased fuel costs
- Systems running low on refrigerant or lubrication will require more energy to operate and may run with the compressor engaged for longer periods. This increased engine load means more fuel consumption
- Expensive repairs
- Lack of service typically leads to refrigerant loss, moisture ingress and poor circulation of system lubricant. Component failures can be extremely costly on A/C systems as they are labour intensive, parts can be expensive and system debris can be tricky or even impossible to remove.
- Too hot!
- As performance tails downwards the system is less able to perform as it’s designed too. Such declines can be gradual so it’s not always noticed right away. Look out for tell tale signs like the car taking longer to cool down on really hot days.
- Clogged cabin filters can no longer capture dust, dirt or pollen as well as they should. A clogged cabin filter also restrict essential cold air that the heater motor requires to keep cool, which is also a potential fire hazard.
- Be sure these are replaced according to manufacturer service intervals and consider active carbon filters for fresher air.
- Bacteria and odours
- The dark humid evaporator is an ideal breeding ground for bacteria, fungi and micro-organisms. Whatever’s in there can be blown into the car resulting in stale smells, irritation or even allergy type symptoms. We can carryout a full Anti-bacterial service treatment on the AC system in your car, and it doesn't cost the earth.
Whilst the modern automotive A/C & Climate Control system is both efficient and reliable, it is an Electronic mechanical system which requires periodical servicing and maintenance in order to maintain its performance. Almost without exception, vehicle manufacturers now recommend an annual service to maintain the efficiency of the system and ensure the reliable running of the vehicle.
If an A/C system is not correctly maintained by suitably trained and equipped technicians on a regular basis, there is a risk of system damage or even a complete vehicle breakdown. This is possible because most A/C equipped vehicles use a common drive belt to power the A/C compressor. If an A/C compressor seizes due to lack of maintenance, the subsequent drive belt failure will stop the vehicle. A/C has been rapidly standardised over the last 10 years due to the major enhancement it brings to passenger comfort. However, drivers are only just realising that A/C systems do require regular maintenance. Vehicle A/C systems will tend to lose refrigerant over time as refrigerant permeates through the physical joins between components. Over time this will cause deterioration in performance. Worse still, if you leave A/C operating with low refrigerant levels more serious problems can occur, lubricant circulation will be affected as it requires the refrigerant to circulate the lubricant around the AC system.
We can advise you on all aspects of this important system in your car.
We also offer a collection & delivery service